Friday, April 9, 2010

Vegan Margarita Cupcakes

As a test recipe for my first event (yay!) I made vegan Margarita cupcakes. I was a little concerned as I had never baked vegan before. I've heard, and tasted, horror stories from first vegan adventures. These, on the other hand, were so great. The recipe was taken originally from the book Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, which is on my 'soon to buy' list.

I ended up bringing a few of these cupcakes as half of my application to vend at the Underground Farmers Market. The other half was pina colada, post forthcoming.

I would highly recommend the recipe. They taste just as good as they look. ^_^

Margarita Cupcakes

(originally from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World. I got it from The Bakingsheet)
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 1 1/2 tsp lime zest (1 lime)
  • 1 cup soy milk (plain or vanilla)
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp tequila
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 350F. Fill a 12-cup muffin tin with liners.

In a large bowl, mix together lime juice, lime zest, soy milk, oil , tequila, vanilla and sugar.
In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to lime mixture and stir until just combined. Divide evenly into muffin tins.

Bake for 20-24 minutes, until a tester comes out clean and the cakes spring back when lightly pressed.

Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.


Tequila and Lime Frosting
  • 1/4 cup nonhydrogenated shortening, softened
  • 1 tbsp soymilk
  • 3 tbsp lime juice
  • 1 tbsp tequila
  • 2+ cups confectioners' sugar

Cream together shortening, soymilk, lime juice, tequila, and 2 cups of confectioners' sugar. Add in more sugar as needed to make frosting stiff, but spreadable.

No comments:

Post a Comment