Saturday, February 27, 2010

Introduction: A girl with a mixer.

I am just a girl with a stand up mixer.

I graduated college in May of 2008.  At the time, I found myself thrust out of art school into this bright and shiny world into what has {arguably} been the worst economic climate since the Great Depression.  Although my thin resume has fared reasonably well, I find myself working mind-numbingly boring job with no room for upward growth and just enough money to 'make it'.

Into this void of boredom, I find myself dreaming of food.

It's a little worrying.  Sometimes I know I dream of food so much because I'm hungry, but this daydreaming has gone beyond the fantasies of my fat kid upbringing.  I find myself testing recipes and reading books about food science.  There was a time in my life when I didn't believe I would ever voluntarily read a non-fiction book, but here I am scouring books on science.  I've thought of going back to school to pursue this, but the thought of piling more debt on my back is a bit terrifying.

As it stands now, I'm a pretty good cook.  I really enjoy cooking, it has been a hobby for a while.  When I'm at home with nothing to do I'm drawn to the kitchen the way some are drawn to watch TV.  It's how I unwind.  I pump out bread, cookies and other miscellaneous baked goods at least a few nights every week.

I realized, recently, that I'm going to need to do something about this habit.  I cook enough that my husband and I have a hard time keeping up.  I need supporters.  People to take these delicious noms off my hands, and (epiphany!) I might be able to get enough money out of it to cover costs, or even pay a bill!

The Dream:
To someday have a bakery that sells gourmet cakes, cupcakes, and sweets for everyone.  We would specialize in locally sourced, organic ingredients and have a modest storefront to sell it out of.  One Year Goal: To have set up a legitimate business and have consistent clients.  Probably not enough to quit my day job, but consistent.

So, The Challenge:
Use this blog to document my path to actually selling my food.  My future business already has a name: Red Queen Cakes.   Might be putting the cart before the horse on that one a little.

1.  Learn!
Test Recipes, figure out how to make truly above average cakes, cupcakes and ice cream.
Come to understand the science behind what I'm doing, because baking is chemistry. 

2.  Business!
How the hell do you run a legitimate business in this world? I know so little about this, that I'll have to fill it in later.  (I figure: start cooking, because the backbone of this enterprise will be the food.  I can read books about business as I go along.)

Want to help support my habit? Now taking orders! If you've got an idea, let me know! redqueencakes@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment