Saturday, April 24, 2010

UFM Menu: Red Velvet Cupcakes and a business update

This is Day 57 of my project.  So far, things are going better than planned.  I haven't lost interest and moved onto some other project, which is how most of my projects die.  I've had some great events and wonderful response. Today I'm home sick, on a Saturday, and working again on the business plan.  This week I've:
  • Created a web page, which will be debuted soon.  It's a work in progress.
  • Ordered business cards.
  • Have created a local 415 GoogleVoice number as a business line.
I need to:
  • File for a fictitious name license and business license.
  • Find a kitchen to work out of.  I'm thinking of putting up ads on Craigslist.
  • Finish writing my business plan.  Deadline: May 1st.
  • Decide what type of cupcake I'm doing for the Iron Cupcake Challenge on Monday (Theme: Chocolate)
I have a lot of work to do, but slowly steam is gathering.
     At the Underground Farmer's Market, the Red Velvet Cupcakes with Ginger Cream cheese Frosting and Candied Ginger were a huge success.  These cupcakes ended up not rising very much.  I think I would try this recipe again and just be more careful in my preparation.

    Red Velvet Cupcakes  
    (Adapted from Epicurious.com)
    Makes about 24 cupcakes
    • 3 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
    • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
    • 2 cups sugar
    • 3 large eggs, at room temperature
    • 6 tablespoons red food coloring
    • 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

    No comments:

    Post a Comment